Sr. Civil Estimator – Santa Clara
It’s fun to work at a company where people take pride and truly believe in what they’re doing. At Bothman, we’re committed to bringing passion and superior customer focus to all of our innovative construction projects. Although we work hard, and we’re serious about what we do – we care deeply about our employees and like to have a good time too. In fact, our core principal is Quality People and Quality Projects TM. Here’s a glimpse of some of the coolest projects we’ve worked on: Avaya Stadium (Home to the San Jose Earthquakes), the Mountain Winery in Saratoga, San Jose State University Event Center, Cupertino City Center Park, the Haunted House at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and the Guadalupe River Park to name a few. If a career at Bothman Construction sounds interesting to you, please read on!
We are seeking an experienced Sr. Civil Estimator to support company established revenue goals by leading cost estimate efforts during the selling phase for the various construction activities the company performs.
General responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform complete review of contract documents for designated project estimates.
- Develop and/or assist in pre-construction budgeting.
- Set-up spreadsheet template for designated projects.
- Develop and execute project specific bid strategy.
- Delegate estimating tasks to various staff members.
- Develop trade list and sub-contractor solicitation list.
- Perform and/or delegate quantity take-offs on various selected trade work (private and public works projects).
- Produce and gather from staff applicable questions regarding plans and specifications and send to owner for clarification.
- Solicit material and sub-contractor pricing.
- Determine equipment needs and solicit pricing.
- Calculate labor estimates and determine applicable in-house trade labor rates.
- Analyze, material, equipment, and sub-contractor quotes prior to bid.
- Consistently deliver accurate and timely estimates.
- Hold in-house pre-bid meetings prior to large public bids and delegate bid day duties.
- File bid protests as required.
- Follow up with sub-contractors regarding results as necessary.
- Prepare and send bid proposals for various private projects.
- Attend and help coordinate in-house pre-construction meetings with project management, production, and appropriate estimating staff.
- Assist with initial project set-up with project manager; interact with project management through life of projects pertaining to specific task calculation and unforeseen project developments.
- Attend owner pre-bid meetings, post construction meetings, seminars, and training programs.
- Assist with updating material and sub-contractor sources.
- Develop and maintain effective communications with all customers and manufacturer-suppliers.
- BS or BA degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 10 years experience bidding heavy civil work including earthwork, underground utility, pavements, and site concrete.
- History of successful project procurement in both public and private works.
- Strong plan comprehension & analysis skills.
- Computer literate in Excel, Word, and Microsoft Project, Microsoft Outlook.
- Experience using both manual take-off methods and electronic take-off tools.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Candidate is able to work effectively as part of a team, or independently.
We offer excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401K and competitive salary. E.O.E.
About Bothman Construction
Robert A. Bothman provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Robert A. Bothman complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings.
Robert A. Bothman Construction is a full-service, family-owned construction and general engineering company with offices in California and Hawaii. Founded in 1978, we are a recognized industry leader offering a full complement of pre- construction and construction services for public, commercial, industrial and privately owned projects. Our expertise covers a wide range of construction and general engineering specialties including: Sports & Recreational Facilities, Educational Facilities, Site Development & Heavy Engineering, Structural & Architectural Concrete, Solar & Renewable Energy, Stormwater Management and RABcrete TM Pervious Concrete. We believe in providing exceptional value and service to all of our clients and believe that dedication and hard work is the key to unlocking our continued growth and success.
Our headquarters are located in Santa Clara, California.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Salary range: $150,000 – $175,000/year